Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA)
Military-Connected Local Educational Agencies for Academic and Support Programs (MCASP)
In 2018, Sweetwater Union High School District was awarded a DoDEA-MCASP grant to support three SUHSD schools (Eastlake Middle School, Rancho Del Rey Middle School, and Olympian High School).
2018 SUHSD DoDEA-MCASP Project Name:
Computer Science (including Cybersecurity) and STEM Enrichment
Project’s abstract: This proposal will prepare students to meet the evolving workforce demands of STEM, Computer Science, and Cybersecurity in our increasingly technologically intensive economy. Engaging students through inquiry, project, challenge-based and fun, interactive learning activities to build their STEM/CS proficiency as well as supporting their academic achievement in math and computer science will provide encouragement to successfully pursue rigorous STEM/CS coursework in high school and build post-secondary college and career readiness. This proposal will support a comprehensive system of enrichment activities, instructional practices and support beginning in grade 7 with the goal of improving military-connected students’ academic achievement in math and in high school Advanced Placement STEM/CS exams, resulting in skilled, confident students ready for post-secondary STEM opportunities.
- Middle schools: By May 2023, the percentage of military-connected middle school level students meeting or exceeding standards on the SBAC math assessment will increase by 10% over 2019 baseline.
- High school: By May 2023, the percentage of military-connected high school level students scoring 3 or higher on AP STEM exams will increase by 10% over 2019 baseline.
Grant points of contact:
- Eastlake Middle School’s grant coordinator: Dr. Luis Lopez
- Rancho Del Rey Middle School’s grant coordinator: Mr. Joseph Kelleher
- Olympian High School’s grant coordinator: Ms. Emily Troxil
- Grant project director: Dr. Jesus L. Ulloa, STEAM Programs Coordinator
Learn more about DoDEA grants at https://dodeagrants.org/